Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring!, Beavers, Eagles and the Pool life.

Our daffodils tell me it is spring; I love their smiling yellow faces. But the 3"snowflakes yesterday when I went to the pool made me think more "winter" than a"spring". They melted as soon as they hit anything; but they plus the spray from the big trucks on the freeway made seeing hard. No snow today but tomorrow has it in the forecast. (Grrr.)

We had a visitor on Monday evening. We came home from the grocery store and found a beaver in our front yard. Since we live close to OSU (the Beavers) when Bill said "Theres a beaver in the front yard." I asked, "It he playing football or basketball?" He just ate some of the tall grass, and then it got too dark for us to see him. Wildlife has been abundant lately. Several species of large hawks have been around, and we see bald eagles regularly. Living on a wildlife refuge has special times. The resident Canadian geese are making nests now, and soon we can look forward to seeing the little gooslings swimming behind Mom and Pop in the Duck Pond just north of us.

This last weekend Bill taught a class of seven guys how to make a table. They all left on Sunday with a pedestal table. Bill was really satisfied with the way the class went, and enjoyed imparting some of his knowledge to others. They managed to devour the Easter Bunny Cake I made for them.

I am continuing with my exercise program. I go to the pool four times a week, and have been doing lots of "water walking" (not walking on the water). My friend Angela and I have spent up to 1-1/2 hours just walking or marching across the pool. I enjoy my little United Nations in the pool. I have made friends with people from all over the world. Angela is from Ireland; Azhar from Iraq; Julia from England; Susie from Hong Kong; Chen from VietNam; and a little girl from Japan joined in our conversation yesterday; plus there are several from different parts of this country. Ages vary--from 32 to over 80. Learning of their life experiences has been so interesting.

No comments: